Chattanooga Among Top 10 Cities for Added Job Growth in 2020
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a devastating effect on the United States. Health authorities reported over 26.7 million cases as of Feb. 4, more than 450,000 of which have proven fatal. The American economy has suffered as well. In February 2020, the month before the pandemic resulted in a nationwide state of emergency, 158.7 million Americans held jobs. In November, that number fell to 149.8 million – a 5.6% decline.
Yet not every job market in the country suffered. Of the nearly 400 major metropolitan areas in the U.S., employment increased throughout the pandemic in 28.
To identify the American cities adding the most jobs during the COVID-19 pandemic, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics on the percent change in total employment from February 2020 to November 2020 in all U.S. metro areas.
Chattanooga, Tennessee ranked number ten out of 28 cities recognized for economic growth despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Increase in employment: 1.7%
• Total employment Feb. 2020: 269,570
• Total employment Nov. 2020: 274,120
• Feb. 2020 unemployment rate: 3.3%
• Nov. 2020 unemployment rate: 4.5%
• Fastest growing industry: Education and Health Services (+4.8%)
• Labor force increase Feb.-Nov. 2020: +8,175 (+2.9%)
This article was origionally published in USA Today. Click here to read the rest of the article.